Monday, August 4, 2014

My Meaningful Work: The Dailey Method.

image by The Dailey Method, San Francisco - Mission Castro


In The Gifts of Imperfection, a book by Brené Brown, I read about the importance of meaningful work. As Brown puts it, meaningful work makes one come alive, and I think it also brings joy.

Meaningful work can be in all shapes and sizes--maybe it's your day job, or maybe it's your part time job. It's jewelry making, photography, or it's basket weaving. Nonetheless, I agree with Brown in it's value toward living with joy. And when I read this passage today I immediately knew what my meaningful work is: teaching at and being a part of The Dailey Method.

Before I go on I must thank my good friend Marcie for suggesting the exercise studio to me at a time when I was looking to transform my health and fitness. And transform it did. As a practice, The Dailey Method has given me so much strength, not only physically but also emotionally.

For over two years now I've been both an instructor and student at the Santa Barbara studio. In this time I have been filled with a sense of home created by the community there and across the franchise! Here's the truth of what my meaningful work does for me, whether I'm teaching or taking class:

  • I feel connected.
  • I feel strong.
  • I feel loved.
  • I feel alive.
  • I feel joy.
  • I feel friendship.
  • I feel I am enough!
Some of the instructor family at The Dailey Method, Santa Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment